Description: Automatic Shifter Wire Lead Fabric Sheathing
Model: Mustang, Shelby, Cougar
Engine: 200, 250, 302 std, 390, 428 CJ, 428 SCJ
Options: Automatic Transmission
Length: 36" (cut to fit)
This is the exact same coated woven fabric sheathing Ford used to protect the shifter light wire.
How I would install the new sheathing?:
Pull the existing sheathing back from the shifter end and cut the wire in an area that would be only exposed if you compressed the sheathing. The idea is to make the splice in a section of the wire that will be covered once the sheathing is relaxed. Remove the existing sheathing. Put shrink tubing over wire then splice wires weaving the exposed wires together then solder. Pull the shrink wrap over soldered connection and apply heat. Release the compressed sheathing. Your done. I'm sure there is a better way but this is how I would do it.
Step by step instructions submitted by customer (you may have to improvise)
1) Mark the wire at the location of where the original sheathing ends.
2) Remove the old sheathing
3) Cut the wire about an inch back from where the old sheathing ended. Cut should be under the sheathing if it was installed.
4) Strip the wire ends back a 1/8 inch
5) Slipover some shrink wire tubing
6) Install new sheathing
7) Compress the sheathing up just enough so you have room to solder the wire
8) Push and weave the copper wire into themselves so the shrink tubing will slide over after step 9
9) Solder the wire together.
10) Slipover the shrink tubing and heat to shrink
11) Pull back sheathing