Description: Inside Snap Ring Concours Driveshaft Restoration Service
Model: Mustang, Shelby GT350
Engine: 289, 289 HiPo
Transmission Type: Manual
Factory: San Jose
Turnaround: 20-40 days
Approved for MCA Judged Classes: Concours Driven, Concours Trailered, Thoroughbred
Approved for Judged SAAC Classes: Division I, Division II
Our concours driveshaft restoration service is all inclusive, including return shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states. Send us your production original 1965 outside snap ring driveshaft components and you get back a complete concours correct driveshaft that's ready to install. This is not a driveshaft tube polishing service. We replace the tube with the same electro resistance welded seamed tubing the factory installed. This way we don't have to fake any finishes. The welds, bare steel blue seamed tube and the color of the blue heat rings on the spot welded balance weights all look real because... they are real. We believe the only way to properly restore a driveshaft is to break it down to its components, restore each component and then assemble it just like Ford did it. If you don't have your original driveshaft cores contact us, we may have some good cores available.
- Verify all components are within factory dimensional tolerances
- Verify all components are cosmetically acceptable for a concours quality restoration
- Transmission slip yoke refinished, paint coded, factory machined areas resurfaced including the barrel for a good seal
- Tube yokes refinished, paint coded and factory machined areas receive a fresh resurfacing
- Restore your factory installed production zerkless u-joints or OE service greaseable u-joints
- Tube yokes welded to new 2.75 inch electro resistance welded blue seam driveshaft tube
- Install transmission slip yoke and balancing fixtures
- High speed balanced with factory rectangular spot welded balance weights
- Unique build sheet paint code stripes sloppily applied like the factory did in the same colors, locations and widths using our survivor driveshaft as a guide
- Apply rust protection oil and wrap in special anti-corrosion paper
- Safely shipped via UPS back to your garage in our proven packaging system
Q: When I send you my driveshaft cores do I get my parts back?
A: Absolutely, when your cores arrive they are photographed then tagged with your name so we can track them through the entire restoration. The cores you send in are the ones you will get back, guaranteed.
Q: I don't have cores, what do I do?
A: You have a couple of options. First check if we have any cores in stock (contact us). Second, source the cores yourself. Contact us and we will send you a component ID guide to help your search.
Q: Is the 1965 outside snap ring driveshaft unique vs the later version that came out in 1967?
A: Yes, the outside snap ring driveshafts that some of the 1965 Shelbys, K-code and A-codes came with from the San Jose factory are unique. The tube yoke design is close to the 1967 and later yokes but is easy to differentiate. The heavy duty transmission slip yokes look just like the 1965-66 inside snap ring versions but they are machined for a outside snap ring clip. The outside snap ring u-joints are also unique, they used the same 1310 series zerkless u-joints commonly found on 1967 and later driveshafts.
Q: How do you polish the driveshaft tube to make it look like new?
A: We don't restore the tube. We replace it with the same electro resistance welded seamed tubing the factory installed. This way we don't have to fake the welds, bare steel finish, blue seam or the spot welded balance weights. Sanding and polishing reduces the already thin .065" tubing thickness that affects its strength so we never recommend polishing.
Q: I've modified my engine and it's now producing a little more than 450 HP. Will a stock driveshaft hold up to this extra power?
A: Tire stickiness and high rear axle gear ratios are what make driveshafts fail. Most street-driven Mustang & Shelbys have stock bias ply tires or street radials that will never hookup enough to put any significant load on the driveshaft. Our conservative rule of thumb is this: If your engine is producing over 500 HP at the crank or your running slicks this driveshaft may not be for you. Contact us if you have any questions.
Q: I'm restoring my Shelby to compete in concours trailered and survivor classes. Will OE service u-joints pass in the these classes?
A: In these classes the judges deduct points for any part that isn't an original production line part. We suggest you use restored production line zerkless u-joints or source a NOS set. If you send us a set of NOS u-joints with your cores we will refund you $50.
Q: Still have questions?
A: Contact us and we'll answer them all.
HOW TO GET STARTED
STEP 1 Verify or source your driveshaft cores
- Before you ship your driveshaft to us for restoration make sure you verify you have the correct driveshaft components.
STEP 2 Print your order
- Include a copy of your invoice or your contact information with your cores so we can reference your online order.
- Preparing and shipping your driveshaft cores is very simple. Click on one of the links below for full details.
- How to prepare and ship your cores
When your package arrives we will contact you after we inspect your cores. This may take a few business days so please be patient.
We will call or send you an email notifying you that your driveshaft restoration has been completed. The email will include UPS package tracking information so you can track it all the way to your door. A detailed invoice with warranty information will be included within the package.
STEP 6 Install your driveshaft and have fun
Your driveshaft will be fully assembled so all you'll need to do is remove the packaging and install it. If you choose to apply anti-rust protection or clear coat paint before installation we include a list of options and products we recommend.
Install Tip: The factory pinion yoke u-bolts torque specifications are only 14-17 foot pounds, otherwise you run the chance of causing premature wear on the u-joint cup bearings. As always, if you have any questions please contact us.
Hardware: If you don't have the concours correct driveshaft u-joint u-bolt hardware we stock the complete set.